There are a number of natural stones that are found on the mountainous regions. Slate, marble, travertine, granite, limestone, and sandstone are to name a few. The natural properties that these stones possess are one of the main reasons why these play an important role as the flooring tiles.
Though there are slight differences with the properties, it is important to understand this to decide on the stone flooring type before purchasing stone for the flooring. This will also depend on the type of stones that are required for specific locations of a building. These are important factors of the natural stones that needs to be considered before buying these expensive stones as flooring tiles. The following are the properties of the natural stones.
- Absorption Rating – This is the rating according to a tile store from Edmonton, which is referred to the nature of the pores of a material. The concept is simple when it is more absorbent; it is more susceptible to stains and chances of cracking in freezing conditions.
- Non Vitreous – This has the highest level of absorption. This should not be used in any damp environment like sandstone.
- Semi Vitreous – These kinds of tiles are less absorbent; more exposure means more cleaning is required like slate, limestone, and travertine.
- Impervious – These tiles are resistant to the absorption of the liquids and easy to maintain.
- Vitreous – This is the standard absorption level like granite.
- Grade – This is used by some retailers to determine the quality of the materials. The size, shape and thickness of the tile is used to ensure this grade. There are 3 grades.
- Grade 1 – High Quality, uniform materials
- Grade 2 – Minor Defects like chips, scratches and irregular surfaces.
- Grade 3 – Major flaws in the size, shape and surface.
- Co-efficient of Friction – This determines the anti-slip properties of the stones. The idea is that higher the coefficient the more the traction will be. This is very important which placing tiles in bathrooms and kitchen. Granite is one of the natural stones which have a higher coefficient of friction.
- Indoor and Outdoor Rating – The flooring tiles from Edmonton that are used outside should be non-vitreous material as this will be exposed to open air, dirt and acid rain. A high coefficient of friction is needed as this will prevent from slipping, especially near the swimming pool.
- Oxidation – The natural stones are formed for many years below the earth, for this reason it is sure to contain a variety of disparate elements. In some cases even iron is present in some of these materials and when they are used outside, there can be oxidation which will result in rusting. This can be Thereby causing the entire tile to degenerate over time.